Thursday, March 19, 2020

Mario... Lego..

Mar-ioge?
Mar-I-Lego?
Interlocking Brick Man?

So how long do we have to wait before someone figures out how to execute code on the thing and people are playing Doom Shareware off it?

It's an interest idea for a toy. I find it fascinating because it combines what these two companies excel at. Nintendo is good at taking off the shelf components and making some great innovations. Lego is great at cross promoting licensed IPs. They've apparently even expressed an interest in doing other Nintendo IPs. Could an iteration of Animal Crossing be the next Lego/Nintendo project? Probably not. But it's fun to think about.

During the social distancing period of the current epidemic toys are going to become very important not just to children but adults as well. Toys with a shared interest will be especially useful to distract child and parent from the boredom that can come with a crisis. Lego is just a natural fit. You mix in video games and you have a entertaining mixture of physical and soft media that disrupts generational gaps. I'm all for it!

I don't have kids and I don't think I want any. Honestly don't think I can anyhow. But if I were care taker for a child I'd encourage them to try out old school games. They would inevitably draw a conclusive line between pixel graphics and building games like Lego's own Lego Worlds and Minecraft. With the folks at Lego and Nintendo having draw this conclusion as well they've made a promising toy that might spin off into more sets. I certainly hope so.

Also Jim Sterling's take on Lego Mario is pretty dang entertaining. I had to re-watch the video he post three times because I kept bursting into laughter. Thank go for that man.

No comments:

Post a Comment